ICBC and Motor Vehicle Claims
If you have been injured in a car accident, in most cases we will take your file on a contingency fee basis. This means our fee is based on a percentage of what we recover for you. This means we will not get paid until you do.
It is to your advantage to get a lawyer involved early in the process to ensure that statements and injuries are accurately reported to ICBC and to the RCMP.
We will also ensure that you get the benefits you are entitled to for medical treatment and wage loss. Getting a lawyer involved early does not cost you more, and ensures that your best case is presented.
In most cases we will cover your legal expenses until the conclusion of the case. This includes getting you assessed by independent medical experts to document your injuries and medical and wage loss needs, as well as hiring accident reconstruction engineers, economists, and other experts as necessary to prove your claim.
ICBC’s differing role in most accident claims is confusing, but a critical aspect of your claim. On one hand, they are your insurer when it relates to getting your car fixed and also for ceratin basic no fault medical and wage loss benefits. On the other hand, the ICBC adjuster that you are dealing with in most vehicle accidents in British Columbia is also the adjuster for the other individuals in the accident. Their role has changed. Now the same adjuster’s role is to minimize your claim. Let one of our experienced lawyers at Mair Jensen Blair represent you and make sure you are being fairly compensated.
- Call the police, ambulance and fire department as necessary.
- Identify the other driver(s) involved. Make sure to get the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved as well as the names, drivers license numbers and address or all drivers and owners of the vehicles involved.
- Take pictures of the vehicles where they came to rest before they get moved if it is safe to do so.
- Take pictures of the scene , weather conditions, road signs and hazards involved in the accident. Use your cell phone camera if necessary.
- Get the witness’s names, address, and phone numbers if possible.
- Write down any conversations that occur with the other driver, witness and police as soon as you can so the notes are accurate.
- See a doctor as soon as you can if you think you have been injured. Go to a walk in clinic or the hospital if you cannot see your family doctor within a day or two after the accident.
- You are required to report the circumstances of the accident, how it occurred and the consequences of the accident. Your lawyer can do this for you to ensure the statement is accurate.